Thursday, February 26, 2009

Love you Grandpa

Today I have a mixture of both happy and sad feelings. My sweet Grandpa Cheeseman passed away at the age of 91. He has had a very full life, one that he enjoyed sharing with anyone that would sit and listen. My grandpa was full of wisdom and love. Although he was not always a touchy feely person, he was always good for a nice hug hello and goodbye and always had a wonderful smile. He loved to play cards, and would just roll his eyes at me when I played cribbage with him and had to use my fingers to count to 15 or 31...even in high school!!! You always knew Grandpa was having a good day when you asked him how he was and he said "Pretty good for an Old Man"! That always made me feel good, even as it got towards the end for him.
I know he is happier now, it got pretty bad there at the end. I know he can hear now, and I wonder what kind of reunion he had with Grandma!!! I wonder if she asked what took him so long? He often talked of his mother and father, so I'm sure he is happy to be with them. I know my sadness comes from selfishness of not having him here with me, but he will be deeply missed. My cute Trenton was so factual this morning as I took him to school. I had told him that Grandpa had passed when I woke him up this morning and he seemed to be okay. On the way to school I asked him if he was sad and here was our conversation:
M: Are you okay baby...are you sad?
T: No. He was my Papa, but he was really old. I am a little sad, but not a lot of sad.
M: Your right baby, he was old. I'm glad that you are not really sad, it is okay to be a little sad.
T: He was just old Mom.
You would think that a three year old would be a little worried about the idea of death, and seeing someone on their way there. But even last night as we went to go see Grandpa, Trenton stood by his bedside and rubbed his arm and told him it was okay. He then insisted on giving him a kiss goodbye. That is when the tears shed for me. When I watched my little boy show his unconditional love for his Papa even when he looked a little scary as he lay there sleeping with dis-sheveled hair, mouth open with loud breathing, and his bony shoulders showing thru his gown.
I am so grateful for the knowledge that families can be together forever. That if we do our part for my sweet Grandpa and Grandma, that they too can be married for eternity and join our eternal family if they choose to do so on the other side. I am grateful that Trenton had a little bit of time to get to know his Great Grandpa. He loved to tell him what he learned at school and was always asking me when we could go visit him. I am grateful for the quiet love he gave and will miss him greatly. Love you Grandpa....see you again.

Grandpa Cheeseman and Trenton's first meeting
Grandpa and Braxton's First meeting
Four generation of Cheeseman's

1 comment:

Ed Cheeseman said...

Slight correction -- he was 91 last November.