Friday, January 30, 2009

A Day at the Zoo

So...I finally had enough umph in me to do something fun with Trenton today. We have had zoo passes, but have not been able to use them as much as we wanted to since I was so sick when it was nice, very prego when it was hot, new baby when it was cold, and then too cold for even him and I. Finally it was a nicer day today, 40's but at least it was clear, so we ventured out! I told Trenton I had a surprise for him and he was very excited. When we got there he was running everywhere we went! It was so much fun to see him so happy. Some of the things we saw were:
The Zebras

The Giraffe (they were inside due to the weather, so it was neat to see them so close up. I don't have a very good zoom on my camera, so imagine how close!)

The Elephants

We rode the carousel

And went into "Grandma's House" in the Asian Highland part and Trenton put on a cool hat!

It was a pretty fun day...and one that I would probably venture to do again...until of course, the end. HOLY COW! To give a little background my son has has thing about only pooping on his own toilet, Grandma's toilet, or Nana's toilet. Why? I have no idea. So as we venture to our last stop, the playground, I notice him clutching at his stomach and hear him say he will wait to poop until we get home. Oh no you wont I tell him, lets go potty now and then we can come back out here and play. So I get him to the bathroom, he starts to back up to the toilet with his pants down, and the dang thing flushes and scares him BAD. Genuine fear registers across his face and he starts screaming. I'm sure anybody that was outside was wondering if I was beating the kid, but I assure you I was not! Meanwhile, I had to feed the baby, so I step into the nursing room they had and continue to try and calm him down. Finally, he starts to breath. I calmly explain to him that he has two choices: 1) he can go the bathroom there and we can go back out to the playground, or 2) we can go home so he can use the potty. I explained that if he did not use the toilet he would have an accident, and then I would come un-glued since he didn't go to the bathroom. I tell him that if he wants to use the potty at the zoo I would hold him up on it so he did not have to be afraid. Again....the whaling and gnashing of teeth, now not out of fear, just being a brat. Finally I told him I was done with the screaming and we were leaving. I am able to get the baby and the stroller out of the bathroom and he stood in there and refused to follow me. Luckily a mom offered to stay with the baby as I went in to get him. I had to carry him out and to the entrance. I put him down and he starts saying he will go potty at the zoo. So, again, I calm him down and ask him if he is going to sit on the potty and poop. He told me no, that he does not sit on pottys that flush on their own. So I again explained that if he did not go to the bathroom we were going home so he could use his toilet. Again....SCREAMING. So I continue towards the car, and again, he refuses to follow me. He is visibly shaking he is screaming so hard. Again, I have to physically pick him up and carry him to the car as I stroll the baby. Now...putting him in the car was fun too. I didn't realize how strong my little man was. He was arching his back as I was trying to put him in his seat and holding his entire body up, elbows locked, not sitting. I finally broke his grip and was able to get the top part buckled. The bottom...not so much at that point. I got the baby in, the stroller...etc., came around to him again and finally got the bottom part buckled. He literally screamed and kicked my seat the whole way home, and by the time we got home had his arms out of the top part of the buckle. WOW...he has never done that before...I had to call Hollie on the way home so that someone else could witness the sounds coming from his mouth. I was laughing by this point, probably out of shock. This entire story is over the length of at least 45 minutes...I kid you not. I will think twice before I attempt going somewhere by myself again.

3 comments:

bon said...

Oh. My. Heck! There's a day that will live in your memory FOREVER! Ho-lee cow...I remember when my kids were all little that I had to be TOTALLY DESPERATE to leave the house to go do whatever it was I was going to go do, and that when I got back home, I would ask myself: WHAT WAS I THINKING???? Kids!

xo

Hollie Wood said...

That was a pretty good phone call!! Little poop stain!

kare said...

Ah HAIL no. Not again!